Follow the 'Art Work' link for more drawings and paintings by Emily.......
I'm an Edinburgh based artist making work that is inspired by the Natural World. My work focusses on wildlife, and landscapes in Scotland. I use immediate and energetic lines to express the vitality I feel when I am outside. My work is observed directly from nature, sometimes pieces are completed in the field, other times I will develop them back in the studio.
My work is drawn directly from my observations and experiences of the natural world.
When I'm outdoors I experience a sense of freedom from the constraints of daily life. I feel refreshed and energised by what's around me. I'm constantly delighted by things I see in nature: it's wild, untamed and beautiful.
The things I see are often moving, changing, appearing and disappearing. It is the beauty of these fleeting moments that I want to capture in my work, expressed through immediate and intuitive mark making.
I enjoy the challenges of drawing outdoors, in all weather, and I think these experiences can greatly enhance the energy of the work. Sometimes this work becomes a finished piece in its own right. Other times, I develop it into a painting or drawing on a larger scale in the studio.
When I am drawing and painting I am totally absorbed in the moment, which is why I love it so much.
- Bursary Winner (Society of Wildlife Artists) John Busby Seabird Drawing Course, Summer 2018
- ArtWalk Porty, Portobello, Autumn 2018
- Found Gallery, Dunbar, Summer 2018
- Field Trip to Isle of May, Spring 2018
- Society of Wildlife Artists, Mall Galleries, London, October 2017
- Number Four Gallery, St Abbs, Eyemouth, 2017-2018
- Marchmont Gallery, Edinburgh, September 2017-2018
- Field Trips to Isle of May and Shaint Isles, Spring 2017
- Primary and Secondary Art and Design Teacher, East Lothian (2004-2016)
- Teaching Degree in Art and Design from Edinburgh University, Moray House 2004
- Teaching Art to and Supporting people with Learning Disabilities, 1998-2003
- Graduated from Edinburgh College of Art in 1998.
- I live in Edinburgh with my husband and two children.